Tuesday 31 December 2013

Letter to Mark


Dear Mark (Bemrose)

You may not remember me, but we were at West Pinchbeck Voluntary Controlled Primary School in the late sixties and early seventies.  

I, however, remember you.  When we played "kiss chase" and you were playing we stopped running away and, if possible, stood still.....  There was a boy hierarchy - you, then Richard Seymour and then Paul Coddington and then every other boy.  But enough of that!!

So, when the infamous Mark B dared me to read Willard Price's "Cannibal Adventure", what was a girl to do?!  I took it home and read it in one sitting and was immediately addicted. 

That same year, 1973 or '74, we had a school trip.  London Zoo.  I don't remember much about the trip except for stopping at Baldock for a toilet break, the bus ride (probably the longest journey I had ever been on, a lengthy one hundred miles) and I stood feet away from an adult tiger as it was being sedated.  

I went along to the travel company in town and asked how much a two week safari in Africa would cost and remember being told it was £450 (which was more expensive than our home!).  This was not very encouraging for a girl from West Pinchbeck.

Forty years later - and my job takes me to Tanzania and I decided that I should arrange a three day trip before I return to the rather cold and rainy UK.  (The Kiswahili for journey is "safari").  Nowadays they are much less expensive than a house.   

Below is a selection of wildlife - some of it was rather close ...     






























































































































I like this one because he looks like he's playing hide and seek!





























I could hear him squealing before I could see him!


And then, about half a mile later, the zebras were crossing the road ...


This is a buffalo spider











They are not this cute really .....


A baobab tree







No comments:

Post a Comment